of Student Computers with SOS 2/17/07
This covers the basic aspects of setting up Switched-On
Schoolhouse. The best way to setup is to use the Setup Wizard
that begins the first time SOS Teacher is opened. If you need to
access it again, open SOS Teacher then click on the Application
button and choose Setup Wizard then follow the on-screen
After you have installed the Switched-On Schoolhouse Program,
you will need to set up the program for your student(s). There
are basic four steps involved with this:
• Setting up the School Term (Calendar)
• Setting up the Student accounts
• Installing the Curriculum discs
• Assigning the Curriculum
Setting up the School
1. Double click on the SOS Teacher Icon. Enter your password and
2. Click on the 'Administration' button.
3. Underneath the School Setup tab, you will see the drop down
list where it says Edit: Assignment Settings. Drop down the
list, and choose Term Settings.
4. The term you initially named during setup should be listed
here. Click the calendar picture to the right. A window will
appear asking you to select a Traditional or Custom school year:
Traditional: Our standard school year for 2006
is from September 5 to June 12th. 180 school days. Includes most
major Christian holidays.
Custom: Allows you to set a custom start and
end date for the school year. Excludes weekends, but does not
include any holidays. Please consult your Reference guide for
additional information on customizing.
Make your choice, and click OK.
5. A calendar will appear, displaying your choice of calendar.
Click Save, and the window will close.
Setting up the
1. Click the 'Student Setup' tab at the top of the screen.
2. At the bottom of the screen, click the 'Add Student' button.
Enter the student's first and last names in the provided fields,
then enter a student username. This is the name they will see
when they log in to the Student program. If you do not want the
program to leave that field blank.
3. The term field should reflect the term you had just set up.
4. Advanced Lesson Planning allows the computer to assign due
dates for every lesson throughout the school year. Leaving it
unchecked will allow the student to work at a self directed
pace, with no assigned due dates. See the Reference Guide for
5. Click the 'Save' button once all the changes are completed.
6. Repeat steps 2-5 for each additional student.
1. Click the Curriculum Setup tab.
2. Insert the first (A) CD for the subject you wish to install
in the drive.
3. Click the 'Install' button.
4. A window will come up asking for the location of the "contents.sosx"
file. Navigate to the cdrom/dvd drive, and double-click on the
5. Another window will appear asking if you want to run the
curriculum from CD, or copy it to the hard drive. Choose 'Leave
on CD', and click OK.
6. The system will work for a moment, and then show the subject
under the Default Subjects heading.
7. To verify installation. Click the (+) sign beside Default
Subjects, then the (+) sign beside 2004. Your subject should be
8. Repeat steps 2-6 for each subject you have.
1. Click the (+) sign beside Default Subjects, then the (+) sign
beside 2004. Click once on the title name (the words) of the
subject you wish to assign.
2. Click the 'Assign' button.
3. On the right hand side of the screen, verify the term is
correct, and click to place a check mark beside the name of the
student(s) you want to assign the subject to.
4. Click the 'Finish' button to assign the subject. If you have
Advanced Lesson Planning enabled, you will show a 'Next' button
instead of 'Finish.' Click that, verify that the start and end
dates are correct, then click 'Finish' to assign the subject.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 for each additional subject you want to
This is a 'quick start' to getting the student up and running.
For more detailed and in-depth information regarding
customization of each of these topics, please consult the Help
here for help on how to use the Help file.